Planning a trip to San Francisco? Here are some ideas of places to check out and delicious things to eat!
One of my favorite things to do in San Fran (or any city!) is to pick an area and walk around with no agenda! It’s a great way to truly experience the area you’re in without feeling like a total tourist. You never know what you may stumble upon! These are a few of my favorite areas to walk around:
- Mission District
- Chinatown (Check out Japantown too!)
- Golden Gate Park
Last time I was in SF my husband and I checked out these two museums, so if you’re in town for a few days they are fun ones to visit!
- California Academy of Sciences
- Walt Disney Family Museum
- I am a Disney nerd so I absolutely LOVED this museum! This area is called the Presidio. A great place to have a picnic and hang out! Several points of interest around here! Walk over to LucasFilms and check out their lobby if you’re a Star Wars nerd!
Picture Worthy Places:
- Palace of Fine Arts
- Golden Gate Park
- Painted Ladies—Alamo Square Park
- Mission District—Balmy Alley
- Land’s End
- Hidden Garden Steps—Sunset District
Food + Drink:
- Les Gourmands Bakery
- Hog Island Oyster Co
- Cliff House
- El Techo—Rooftop Bar
- The Saratoga
- Marufuku Ramen
- Farmhouse Kitchen
- Sky Bar at Loews Regency
Stay downtown! Last time I was in SF I stayed at the Parc 55 Hilton Hotel. It was a nice location because it was right across the street from the Powell Street Station. Very convenient for getting around on transit. Don’t rent a car! Get a Clipper card, which is an all-in-one transit card for the Bay Area. Just load it up with whatever amount and then you don’t have to worry about constantly buying bus and train tickets. Let me know if you have any questions on how this works.
One final thing to note: I don’t really care for Pier 39/Fisherman’s Wharf. Very touristy. However I’m from Seattle so waterfront piers aren’t as exciting to me. Also I have never been to Alcatraz, but if that’s on your bucket list make sure and book tickets well ahead of time!
Let me know if you have been to any of these places! Of course there is a ton more to see and do, these are just a few! What are your favorite places in the Bay Area?