Kauai may be the smallest and least populated of the major Hawaiian Islands, but it has no shortage of great places to eat! This list has something for everyone: casual spots with a great view, nice date night restaurants and cheaper quick bite options, all over the island! This blog post will help you decide where to eat in Kauai! Here are some amazing food options organized by location:
Kapa’a, Wailua, Lihue
Kapa’a is a great place to stay while you are in Kauai and there are so many great places to eat here!
- Java Kai (Kapa’a)
- Popular spot for breakfast, lunch or coffee! I love their bagel sandwiches for breakfast.
- Kountry Kitchen (Kapa’a)
- Go here for a big classic brunch with an island twist!
- Kauai Juice Co (Kapa’a)
- Get your fresh juice fix here! Also snap a photo by their building (and tag them!)
- Pono Coffee & Bakery (Kapa’a)
- Cute and convenient spot for a morning pastry!
- Olympic Cafe (Kapa’a)
- Classic family friendly open air restaurant. It’s on the second story so it has views overlooking downtown Kapa’a. Come here for tropical drinks and their shareable Kauai Pie! Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Sam’s Oceanview (Kapa’a)
- This is one of my favorite restaurants with an awesome ocean view from anywhere in the restaurant! Check out their happy hour!
- Kauai Beer Co (Lihue)
- Great spot to do a beer tasting. Indoor & covered outdoor seating options. Not into beer? They have plenty of great food & drink choices. Like delicious specialty fries!
- Avalon Gastropub (Kapa’a)
- A newer favorite! This is a trendy little spot featuring handcrafted cocktails & amazing sharable small plates.
- Sushi Bushido (Kapa’a)
- Go here if you’re craving sushi! Located in the Coconut Marketplace shopping mall.
- Street Burger (Kapa’a)
- Delish, fresh, local ingredients. Probably my favorite burger on the island!
- Oasis on the Beach (Kapa’a)
- Elegant restaurant located at the Waipouli Beach Resort. This is a good sit down dinner date option with pretty views.
- Lava Lava Beach Club (Kapa’a)
- Located at the Kauai Shores Hotel. This is a fun on the beach bar & restaurant! They have open-air indoor dining, as well as put-your-toes-in-the-sand beach dining!
- Kenji Burger (Kapa’a & Lihue)
- They definitely make a good burger, but I actually really like going here for their sushi burritos! They have lots of great burger, sandwich and sushi options. Good takeout spot!
- Matcha-Ya (Kapa’a)
- Unique cafe with all kinds of matcha drinks, desserts, smoothies & acai bowls! Great pick-me-up on a hot day!
Kilauea, Hanalei, Princeville
- Bar Acuda (Hanalei)
- One of Hanalei’s nicest restaurants. Great tapas and specialty drink options. Reservations recommended!
- Kalypso (Hanalei)
- Casual bar & grill. Perfect spot to refuel after a long hike or day at the beach!
South Shore & West Side
Poipu, Hanapepe, Waimea
- Bobbie’s (Hanapepe)
- Best bang for your buck. Big portions of Hawaiian mixed plates. Really good takeout option especially if you’re on your way down from Waimea Canyon. Cash only.
- Ishihara Market (Waimea)
- Don’t let this grocery store fool you. They have a food counter in the back with amazing fresh poke! Pick some up and eat it at the beach!
- Jojos shave ice (Waimea, Kapa’a, Hanalei)
- There are several shave ice places on the island and this is one of my favorites!
- Puka Dog (Poipu)
- Good for a quick small lunch on the go!
- Tidepools (Poipu)
- Located at the Grand Hyatt Resort & Spa. Unique dining room modeled after a traditional Hawaiian village. Romantic restaurant for an anniversary or special occasion!
- Eating House 1849 (Poipu)
- One of Roy Yamaguchi’s restaurants (only one on Kauai!) It is pricier but definitely one of my favorite places for the food, drink and atmosphere. Several nice options at this mall, check out Merriman’s if you can’t get a reservation at Eating House!
- Merriman’s (Poipu)
- Merriman’s has locations on all the major islands and is worth a visit if you’re looking for a sophisticated sit down dinner.
I hope these suggestions help you plan your trip to Kauai! No matter what time of year you go, I would always recommend making reservations if the restaurant offers it!
Check out my other Food & Travel Guides: